I make every attempt to inject creativity from beginning to end when designing and constructing a piece of jewelry. Recently, I have come upon several discussions regarding finishing.
I do love the options available to me when it comes to clasps. I struggle with the idea of beauty versus security. I find that my local clients prefer the safety of a lobster clasp. I attempt to add a little flair to the finishing when using a lobster clasp and it seems to compensate for their "boring" nature. Although this style of clasp tends to lack creativity, I would rather have a customer leave with their purchase knowing that it is not going to randomly fall off of them. So boring or not, I choose to err on the side of caution...and when you consider the financial investment, I do not want anyone wearing one of my pieces to ever think they flushed money down the toilet because they no longer have that piece of jewelry that makes them smile because I chose to consider a secure clasp too boring for my design.
That's not to say that I will not consider any other finishing style. I do like the toggles...they generally do not pose a problem for me as the wearer. However, I do have clients that have commented on them coming off...my guess is that the wrist the bracelet is on tends to get banged around and as with anything that is banged around, sooner or later, it is bound to come off the wrist.
I wanted to clarify my thoughts as again, I had recently been a part of several conversations about finishing a design. Naturally, if a customer has a preference, I am happy to accommodate their request. However, all probable "issues" are explained during the commission process. But all final design aspects are strictly up to the client.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.